Back in January we released this article shedding light on everything you need to know about the famous MOT Test system.
Now, we are back with another article providing even more knowledge, this time giving you all of the preparation you need for your next MOT test!
We will help you:
Be calm about your next MOT test
Find out when your next MOT test is
Learn the best MOT test etiquette!
Let’s begin with why you shouldn’t worry about your next MOT test. Well, it’s immediately obvious that you shouldn’t worry, as it’s bad for your health. Worrying tends to increase anxiety, which can make your sleep less and develop minor health problems. Worrying about something you can positively affect is also counter-productive.
To positively change your mentality about your next MOT test, here are a few preparations you can do.
- Wash your car. There could be cracks, scrapes or damages that have been concealed by dirt. Don’t get caught out by a mucky outer layer!
- Go to a garage and pump up your tyres. Whilst pumping them up, check the tread with a 20p coin to see whether it is above or below the legal 1.6mm limit (or 3mm recommended limit).
- Test all your lights and electrics, seatbelts and the horn.
- Unless your MOT test centre offers free fluid top-ups, like we do here at In Town Automotive, you should open your bonnet and add some liquids.
Once you’ve done all these, you should be feeling clearer about the state of your car, and may perhaps have an idea of some things that it may fail on. If you’re worried about when your next MOT Test is, and you want to find out quickly, you can do it online here: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
Once you’ve found out and added the date to your calendar, add another date a month before that gives you a month’s heads up! This way you shouldn’t get caught out. For Northampton drivers, add the number 01604 666700 to the note, just to be sure. That’s our number.
MOT Test Etiquette
What a treat, we’ve got not one, not two, not even three, but SEVEN brilliant etiquette tips for your next MOT test. These tips go above and beyond the four tips already given above, and will give you the edge when it comes to looking after your car.
- Get an extended warranty. If your car’s manufacturer warranty has expired, you can purchase a policy that covers you whenever your car needs repairs after an MOT or service. Think of it as insurance for the extra careful car owner.
- Read the small print. Don’t get caught out on technicalities by insurers, warranty providers or garages, make sure you know exactly what you’re getting!
- Half way between MOT tests (every six months), you should consider having a service, which here at In Town Automotive start from as little as £89.99.
- When you book your MOT test, ask what perks are included and what sort waiting times you could expect to face. If you have time to sit around and wait, that’s fine, but if you need a courtesy car, make sure you’re entitled before attempting to demand one!
- Some garages ask that you bring your V5/Logbook with you, so make sure you have it, if it is needed.
- Book in for your MOT test at least a month in advance. This way, you will get a great time and won’t have to risk taking time off work to get your car sorted. We are open on Saturdays…
- Missing your MOT test is a huge inconvenience to the garage, but could be an even worse inconvenience for you, especially if you get caught after it has expired. This could land you a staggering £1000 fine!
Well, we are good to you aren’t we! All this extra knowledge should serve you well when it comes to looking after your car and going for MOT Tests. If you want to know any more, call our dedicated reception team on 01604 666700.